Thursday, March 17, 2011

College: Sweet, Stressful Confusion

The Marist College Career Services Office thinks that it is amusing to haunt seniors with the graduation countdown clocks that appear in multiple buildings on campus.

Well, its not amusing.  I'm a college junior and these clocks are already making me anxious, stressed and excited all at the same time.  This mix of emotions is unsettling, yet it's tough to imagine what my life will be like without them.

What in the heck does my future bring?

This is the question that I ask myself everyday as my graduation clock continues to tick.  Lucky for me, I know EXACTLY what I want.  My years at college only helped to expand what I already knew about myself.  They have brought me to this certainty about my future career and life.  Now, the only thing that is frightfully uncertain is how the heck I'm going to get there.

Marist provides me with much assistance along the self-discovery and fulfillment journey.  The internship and abroad opportunities are the top two reasons that I chose to become a Red Fox.  But ultimately, my journey is decided by me.

I am so excited about my dreams, goals, and future achievements, but the thought of getting there and waiting for it to happen is stressful.  Sometimes I wish that I could just arrive where I want to be, but then at a second thought, if this were the case, I would have skipped out on some of the most amazing times of my life.  This truly is a roller-coaster ride of emotions.  

So what has my time at college taught me about myself?
  • Public Relations is definitely the right career field for me.
  • I stand out in a crowd (in a good way).
  • I enjoy working in the world of tourism, and I discovered this last summer as the public relations intern for the Providence-Warwick Convention and Visitors Bureau
  • I love learning about many different cultures, but am most intrigued by European cultures.
  • I want to travel to as many places as possible, and I think I'd enjoy even the most obscene destinations.
  • Traveling is DEFINITELY better when you're not on a budget.
  • I actually WANT to read or watch news, as opposed to being told that I SHOULD.
  • I don't voice my opinion nearly as much as I should, and sometimes I am too much of a people- pleaser, but my backbone is slowly growing.
  • It's OK to call home to Mom and Dad when I need help.
  • I am not a patient person.
  • Sometimes, I need to be more sensitive towards others.
  • I need to accept the things that I can not change.  From losing a set of keys to losing a relationship important to me, I am working on understanding the phrase, "it is what it is" everyday.  (I have definitely come a long way!)
  • I CAN find an outstanding balance between my organized, academic side and my social, fun-loving side.

What's in my future?
  • I want to live in NYC after graduation and work as a young public relations professional in a small to medium agency.
  • I want to work in the travel, tourism, lifestyle and/or hospitality sector of public relations.
  • Eventually, I'd like to live an a FABULOUS apartment.
  • With this fabulous apartment, I'd like some fabulous accessories and one night a week designated to fancy cocktails with my fantastic girlfriends.
  • I want to remain in love.
  • I could definitely live and work in Europe for a couple of years.
  • Of course, these couple of years would be before I settle down, get married and have a family.

I can only hope that college provides this type of self-discovery and fulfillment for everyone.  I will be forever grateful that my time in college was everything that I hope it to be and more.  I am a confident, successful young woman who may currently be uncertain about my path, but is sure certain about my destination.

College has caused me to think sweet, stressful thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment